GAMMA KNIFE TREATMENT
What is a Gamma Knife Treatment?
Gamma Knife is a non-invasive and highly precise radiation therapy technology used to treat various conditions affecting the brain. Despite its name, Gamma Knife does not involve a surgical procedure or an actual knife. Instead, it uses multiple focused beams of radiation to target and treat specific areas within the brain. This technology is often employed for treating brain tumors, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), and certain neurological disorders.
What is a Gamma Knife Treatment Used For?
- Gamma Knife is a form of radiosurgery, which delivers a high dose of radiation precisely to the target area while minimizing exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
- The focused radiation damages the DNA within targeted cells, either killing them or preventing their growth.
- Gamma Knife is used to treat conditions such as benign and malignant brain tumors, AVMs (abnormal tangles of blood vessels), trigeminal neuralgia (severe facial pain), and other neurological disorders.
- It is particularly effective for small and well-defined lesions.
How is a Gamma Knife Treatment Used?
- Frame Placement: In some cases, a head frame is attached to the patient’s head to ensure accurate positioning during treatment. This frame also serves as a reference point for the imaging process.
- Imaging: High-resolution imaging, such as MRI or CT scans, is performed to precisely locate the target area within the brain.
- Treatment Planning: Using the imaging data, the medical team develops a customized treatment plan that determines the number and intensity of radiation beams to be delivered.
- Radiation Delivery: The patient lies on a treatment table, and the Gamma Knife machine delivers multiple focused radiation beams from different angles to the target area.
- Non-Invasive: The procedure is non-invasive, meaning no surgical incisions are made.
What are the Benefits of a Gamma Knife Treatment?
- High Precision: Gamma Knife’s precise targeting minimizes damage to surrounding healthy tissue.
- Minimized Side Effects: The technology helps reduce the risk of cognitive and neurological side effects often associated with traditional surgery.
What Does a Gamma Knife Treatment Recovery Look Like?
- Patients can usually return home the same day of treatment.
- There is often minimal downtime, allowing individuals to resume their normal activities relatively quickly.
Gamma Knife treatment offers a valuable alternative to traditional brain surgery, especially for patients with conditions that are challenging to access surgically or who wish to avoid the risks associated with invasive procedures. However, the decision to undergo Gamma Knife treatment should be made in consultation with a healthcare provider who can evaluate the individual’s specific condition and recommend the most suitable treatment approach.
IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO A MEDICAL SPECIALIST, CONTACT US AT WEATHERFORDSPINE.COM